Timeline
A single table of dated claims, from the first tools on this Deccan to the morning of 15 August 1947. Nothing is entered here unless a date, or a careful range, stands in the research behind this site. Soft tradition is labelled as such.
| Date | What we can say |
|---|---|
| Palaeolithic (undated in published site reports used here) | The official district profile states that palaeolithic implements have been found on this Deccan. |
| c. 1000–300 BCE | Megalithic horizon given for the menhir fields at Karampudi (Nagaleru) and Gangalakunta (near Macherla). First noticed by J. S. Boswell, 1870–71. |
| 5th century BCE (official / traditional memory) | District memory identifies a kingdom of Prataliputra / Pratipalapura with Bhattiprolu. The published stupa inscriptions are later (below). |
| Around 230 BCE / not later than 200 BCE | King Kuberaka (Khubiraka; official pages: Kubera) heads a town gosthi at Bhattiprolu. Relic caskets name bodily relics of the Buddha. Bühler: not later than 200 BCE. Shimada: ca. 200–100 BCE. |
| Early centuries BCE – 2nd century BCE | Earliest Amaravati inscriptional horizon; earliest architectural or sculpted remains at the Mahachaitya seem post-Mauryan, from the second century BCE. An Asokan foundation is possible in memory, not proved. |
| c. 40–20 BCE onward | Sada kings in the Krishna valley; capital probably Dhanyakataka. Velpuru pillar of Maha Sada / Siri Sada. Sada coins from Vaddamanu (excavated 1981–85). |
| 1st century CE | Prakrit / Brahmi inscription at Chebrolu: gift of a cloister mandapa and chaitya — earliest epigraphic mutt noted in the 2019 ASI briefing. |
| 207 CE | Satavahana king Vijaya, year 5: Sanskrit Brahmi pillar at Chebrolu (ancient Tambrape). ASI: earliest datable Sanskrit inscription from South India so far. |
| c. 225–310 CE (3rd–4th centuries) | Ikshvakus at Vijayapuri (Nagarjunakonda). Named kings include Chamtamula, Virapurushadatta, Ehuvala Chamtamula, Rudrapurushadatta. Rudrapurushadatta attested at Gurazala. |
| Late 3rd – early 4th century | Pallava presence: Simhavarman I, Manchikallu stone, circa 295–330 CE. Mayidavolu plates of Sivaskandavarman address an official at Dhannakada (Dhanyakataka). |
| Later 4th – earlier 5th century | Ananda gotrins at Kandarapura (Chejerla mandal). Three kings in three records: Kandara, Attivarman, Damodaravarman. Conventional handbook span 335–425 CE. |
| 5th – early 7th century | Vishnukundins in the standard histories; a record at Velpur. Rule in Vengi closes when Pulakeshin II and Kubja Vishnuvardhana take the country, about 616–624. |
| Early to mid-7th century | Undavalli caves: ASI Amaravati Circle dates the earliest phase here on style. Popular and tourism accounts still give the 4th–5th centuries and the Vishnukundins. Both are named on the Ancient page. |
| c. 640 CE | Xuanzang describes To-na-kie-tse-kia (Dhanakataka). Standard identification since the nineteenth century: Dharanikota–Amaravati. |
| 624 CE | Eastern Chalukya kingdom of Vengi begins under Kubja Vishnuvardhana (r. 624–641), titled Vishamasiddhi. |
| 22 January 669 CE | Pune copper plates of Vishnuvardhana II, first regnal year: earliest known epigraphical mention of the town as Kumturu. |
| 9th century | Chebrolu’s Bhimeswara attributed to Eastern Chalukya Chalukya Bhima. Temple cluster at Chebrolu placed in the 9th–12th centuries. |
| 922–929 (official profile; grant undated) | Ederu / Idern plates of Amma I: village Gonturu / Gomturu with twelve hamlets. Form continues in inscriptions into the 14th century. |
| c. 1075 – c. 1200 | Chalukya–Chola overlordship in Andhra. On the ground, Velanati Chodas, Kotas, Kondapadumatis, and Haihayas are the local lords. |
| 1103 | Satrasala inscription of Beta I — earliest dated Palnad Haihaya record used here. |
| 1118, 1129, 1137 | Further Haihaya inscriptions (Bhungubanda; Gurazala). |
| 1132 | Amrutaluru (Tenali countryside): Gonkaya Boya, vassal of Kulottunga Rajendra Choda, gifts fifty sheep for a lamp. Village named Amrutanuru. |
| 1147 | Peddakodamagandla: joint gift of Velanati and Palnad officers. The district page also mentions two later inscriptions of 1147 and 1158 for the town name; those two texts are not independently cited here. |
| c. 1157–1158 | Kakatiya Prola II killed in the Velanadu war. Several houses claim the deed. |
| 1172 | Appikatla (Bapatla mandal): Velanati Kulottunga Rajendra Choda, land and biruda-madas for a temple. |
| c. 1178–1182 (conventional; district page 1180) | Palnadu civil war as remembered. Haihayas of Gurazala are in the stones; the battle as sung is later literature. |
| 1182–1231 | Kota Keta II inscriptions, from Amaravati to Panidem. |
| 1163 | Rudradeva of the Kakatiyas proclaims sovereignty (Anumakonda). Coastal Andhra comes into their orbit in stages. |
| 1213, 21 April 1235 | Jayapa of the Ayya family at Chebrolu, under Ganapatideva: city of Shanmukha conferred; Chodesvara temple built. |
| 1215 | Kakatiya record at Durgi (Palnad). |
| 1244–45 (Saka 1166) | Motupalli Abhaya-sasana of Ganapatideva: security of cargo and fixed duties for sea-going merchants. Old Guntur / Bapatla coast. |
| 1261 (Saka 1183) | Malkapuram Nandi-pillar: Ganapatideva and Rudramadevi grant villages to Visvesvarasivacarya; college, matha, choultry, hospitals. |
| c. 1262–1289/95 | Rudrama. Durgi record, 1269. |
| 1299–1322 | Prataparudra II inscriptions thick in Palnad and Sattenapalle, including Karempudi (1303, 1316), Macherla (1313–14), Motupalli (1322). |
| 13th century | Telugu inscriptions of Yadava-Chodas at Kondavidu fort — the hill already built and inscribed before the Reddi capital. |
| 1323 | Warangal falls. Kakatiya imperial history in this tract ends. |
| c. 1325–1448 | Reddi kingdom: first capital Addanki; later Kondavidu (move in the mid-14th century). |
| 14th century | Telugu grant on Rudrapada peak, Kondavidu: vrittis for a Siva temple. Ruler’s name not on the surviving fragment. |
| 1454–1455 | Gajapati governor Ganadeva alias Rautaraya at Kondavidu; grant of Chavali, 1455. |
| 23 June 1515 | Krishnadevaraya: Kondavidu surrenders. Inscriptions at Mangalagiri, Kaza, and Kondavidu. After the fall he visits Amaresvara at Dharanikota. |
| 1520 | Mangalagiri pillar records the 1515 capture; Nadendla Gopa still governor of Kondavidu (Saka 1442). |
| 1538 | Mangalagiri grant in the reign of Sadasiva Raya. |
| 1531, 1536/37, 1579 | Usual list of Golconda attempts on Kondavidu. |
| April 1579 | Ibrahim Qutb Shah takes Kondavidu after bombardment. The sarkar becomes Murtazanagar. |
| 1579–1687 | Qutb Shahi Circars. Named officers in South Indian Inscriptions vol. 10 include Eklaskhan, governor of Kondavidu and Addanki (c. 1600), and Malka Amin at Aminabad (1592). |
| 1687 | Aurangzeb takes Golconda. The Circars pass, with Hyderabad, into the Mughal empire. |
| 1724 | Asaf Jah (Nizam-ul-mulk) de facto independent. The Circars sit in his orbit. |
| 1723 | French factory at Yanam, from Masulipatam — same coastal system, not Guntur town. |
| 1752–1759 | French headquarters at the ancient village of Guntur. Kondavid granted to the French, 1752. |
| 1759 | British take Masulipatam. Coast from the Gundlakamma to Chilka leaves French hands. |
| 1765 | Shah Alam II grants the five Circars to the Company. |
| 12 November 1766 | Treaty of alliance with Nizam Ali. |
| 1 March 1768 | Treaty of Masulipatnam. Guntur excepted as the jagir of Basalat Jang. |
| 1782 | Death of Basalat Jang. |
| 1788 | Guntur under British administration (1789 in one treaty essay; this site follows 1788). |
| July 1791; famine 1791–92 | Tidal wave; then famine so severe that an estimated sixth of the poorer labouring people died. |
| 1823 | Nizam’s remaining Circar claims bought outright. |
| 31 July 1842 | J. C. F. Heyer reaches Guntur, invited by Collector Henry Stokes (Collector 1842–1852). |
| 1852–1855 | Krishna anicut and canals, after Court of Directors approval on 5 January 1850. |
| 1854 | Pharoah & Co. map of the District of Guntoor (J. & C. Walker, plate 23; Internet Archive / CDL, atlasofsouthernp00phar, leaf 57). Older Guntoor / Kistna survey sheet; shown on To Independence. |
| 1859 | Guntur district abolished; territory divided between Krishna and Godavari. |
| 1866 | Guntur municipality constituted. First elected body, 1881. II-Grade 1891; I-Grade 1917. |
| 29 November 1883 | Anna Sarah Kugler reaches Guntur. Medical appointment, December 1885. Dispensary, February 1893. |
| September 1885 | American Evangelical Lutheran Mission College affiliated to the University of Madras. |
| 17 March 1893 | Watts Memorial opened by Lord Wenlock. |
| June 1897 | Mission hospital opened (22 or 23 June), 50 beds. |
| 1901 | Town population 30,833. Area later used for the 1904 district: 1,490,635 people. Cotton presses and ginning already in being. |
| 1902 | Konda Venkatappayya founds Krishna Patrika. |
| 1 October 1904 | Guntur district reconstituted. Headquarters again at Guntur. |
| April 1907 | Bipin Chandra Pal speaks in Guntur. |
| 1908 | Andhra Christian College students join Swadeshi / national education under Konda Venkatappayya. |
| 1909 | Kotappakonda riot, Mahasivaratri. Tenali taluk split into Tenali and Repalle, 1 July 1909. |
| 26 May 1913 | First Andhra Conference (Andhra Mahasabha), Bapatla. About 800 delegates. |
| 1914 | First two women students at the college; it becomes co-educational. |
| 1919–1921 | Chirala–Perala municipal satyagraha. About 13,000 of some 15,000 people walk out to Ramanagar, April 1921. |
| 1921–22 | Palnad Pullari (forest-tax) satyagraha. Pedanandipadu no-tax, January 1922. |
| 1924–1938 | Virginia tobacco spreads in Guntur after 1920; large areas by 1924. Barns: about 200 (1930), 2,500 (1934), nearly 5,000 (1938). |
| March–July 1926; January 1928 | College upgraded to first-grade; affiliated to Andhra University; named Andhra Christian College. |
| 1927 | Simon Commission boycott at Ongole (then in Guntur district). Andhra Evangelical Lutheran Church organised. |
| 1930–31 | Salt / Civil Disobedience. Konda Venkatappayya jailed in 1930 (again 1932 and 1942). |
| 12 August 1942 | Quit India at Tenali. Firing kills seven: Majeti Subba Rao, Srigiri Lingam, Bhaskaruni Lakshminarayana, Tammineni Subba Reddy, Gali Ramakotaiah, Prayaga Raghavaiah, Jasti Appaiah. |
| 15 August 1947 | Independence. Guntur is still a district of Madras Presidency. This timeline ends. Andhra State, 1953, is beyond this site. |